Thanksgiving and Oral Healthcare
Thanksgiving is quickly approaching! This day marks an event where everyone can feast and eat all the food that their tummies can handle. It is one of the few days of the year when people break their diets and really indulge at dinner.
During this time, recipes can be found on how to stay on a healthy diet this holiday while still being able to enjoy delicious meals. However, maintaining good oral health is also essential to your overall health. While there are certain foods that will prevent you from packing on a few pounds, there are foods that will prevent you from tooth decay as well.
Here are some foods that you should eat to keep your smile healthy this holiday:
- Include celery and carrots into your stuffing. Both vegetables contain beta carotene, which helps your body create vitamin A – a nutrient essential for building strong teeth!
- Eat lots of turkey this holiday! Turkey is high in phosphorous, which is needed for tooth development.
- Pumpkin pies are a good source of vitamin C and helps to supply the calcium needed in the development and re-mineralization of teeth.
- Side dishes made with greens and winter vegetables, such as green beans, asparagus and butternut squash, are great sources of vitamin A and C. These nutrients prevent soft, bleeding gums and help protect against oral cancer.
- Eating cranberries can prevent bacteria from sticking to your teeth and forming plaque!
Consider including these foods in your Thanksgiving Day feast and then you can give thanks for many more years of healthy teeth! Drink plenty of water during and in between meals to avoid tooth decay caused by foods that are high in sugar. Remember to brush your teeth and floss after dinner to maintain optimal oral health!
Contact our dental office in Owings Mills for more information on what foods you should eat on Thanksgiving Day!
10 Crossroads Dr | Suite 203 | Owings Mills, MD | 21117 | (410) 363-2121
Proudly serving: Owings Mills, Reisterstown, Randallstown, Pikesville, Westminster, Towson & Lutherville